I researched and collected some great weight loss tips for women and have cobbled them together.
Purely for my own use, but I thought – why not share!? I am trying my absolute hardest to live by these as all of a sudden it seems my metabolism has just crashed and burned.
My old post on my dieting efforts show that over the past few months I have made hardly any progress at all.
Why-oh-why can I no longer eat like a horse and not put on an ounce!? I even chose Vodka Soda’s at this weekend’s hen/bachelorette party over gorgeous glasses of Pinot Grigio, because of the low-cal content.
From those that I found, here are some of the weight loss tips for women that have really resonated with me. The ones I will be concentrating on trying to achieve the most are listed first…
Don’t eat within two hours of bedtime
Mr S and I are so guilty of being late eaters. Given that he works from home, and often works ‘into the night’, we try and spend as much time together during the afternoon – which isn’t usually doing the cooking! I am trying to start cooking as soon as I get home from work, even if it is only the prep and leave enough time for my food to digest and burn off a few extra calories before bedtime instead of just sleeping on them with food weighing heavy in my tummy.
Swap your work chair for a fitness ball
I suffer from a bad back, and have heard these help with that – as well as being good for posture and *ahem* lady bit and stuff.
Drink green tea for its health and antioxidant properties
I love love love Jasmine Green Tea and just don’t know why I don’t drink more of it – time to stock up on the Twinings.
Take the stairs instead of the lift or escalator no matter how you are feeling
Ugh, sounds horrific, but it must be done
Use a small bowl or plate to create the illusion of eating a lot – The Diet Plate is great for this!!!
Before getting a diet plate, I used to use a side plate for my main meal, and a cereal bowl instead of pasta bowl for ‘one pot dishes’ and lost a bit of weight, so I need to start doing this again one the plate arrives.
If you have issues with the portion control of certain items like potato’s and meat etc, buy a diet or baby plate with divided parts. Vegetables go into the largest part, Meat into the second largest, and Potato/Pasta into the smallest.
Generally I try to remember that the starch/carb portion should be no bigger than my fist.
Avoid alcohol and late nights as it DOES impact on fat loss training and progress
Yes, I know this thanks – its just putting it into practice when a glass of Pinot Noir is just too darn good!
Don’t hang around ‘junk food friends’ at times you know you will cheat
Included are the ‘let’s just get one more bottle of wine/beer and grab a curry’ friends – my own fiance is one of these!
Drink a glass of water before every meal
Helps fill you up so you eat less food – so I am told, as sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger
Try and relate your weight loss goals to helping people – it helps
My step-son, my future children and my own sanity…..oh, and the fashion shops, I’ll be helping their profits greatly if I lost a bit of weight
Instead of weighing yourself use a tape measure
So, so true. I am 5″8 and come from a tall Scandinavian family, although I don’t have a ‘heavy bone structure’ I do weigh a lot compared to most women, even when at my slimmest. The tape measure is my good friend, and you see better results that way rather than fretting over lbs – gaining muscle makes you gain “weight” too! The scales are evil.
3500 calories = one pound of fat – diet is more important that hours on the treadmill
Good fact to know when I am considering eating a Mars bar a day. It would only take about a week to gain 1lb from doing exactly that!
Drink more water!
Duly noted – again.
P.S – I just want to say that I think weight is a DIRTY word. Currently I weigh 11stone 2lbs and am in a ‘normal’ range for my height, my BMI is ok, but at the higher part of the ‘ok’ numbers.
Some of these weight loss tips for women are of course, really obvious, but others I wouldn’t have thought of….
PPS. I am in no way an authority on weight loss and can’t guarantee whether you (or I for that matter) will lose weight…. It is worth a shot though, right!?
Here is the exhaustive list of weight loss tips for women I found from various sources on the internet.
101 Great Weight Loss Tips For Women
1. Drink water
2. Train low intencity before breakfast
3. After you’ve eaten do high intencity cardio
4. Avoid refined sugar
5. Avoid complex carbs
6. Don’t eat within two hours of bedtime
7. Train with weights
8. Do some light cardio after dinner
9. Eat fruit
10. Eat vegetables
11. Increase protein foods like meat, fish, eggs, etc.
12. Take a multivitamin
13. Take a cod liver oil supplement
14. Run hills and climb stairs
15. Increase your intensity each workout
16. Eat leafy green vegetables
17. Keep active inbetween workout sessions
18. Swap your work chair for a fitness ball
19. Keep fitness equipment like dumb bells, etc. in every room of the house
20. Find someone to train with in the mornings
21. Find someone who is better than you at fitness to train with
22. Make fruit a whole meal instead of a snack
23. Replace television with active past times like walking, etc.
24. Join a sport team or a fitness class
25. Experiment with martial arts and tai chi and yoga
26. If you are doing weight training and cardio, do the weight training first
27. Choose cardio exercises that work the whole body, not just the legs
28. Try not to mix fats and carbs in the same meal (ie cheese and pasta)
29. Avoid coffee as it leads to bad diet habits
30. Drink green tea for its health and antioxidant properties
31. Drink more water
32. Drink even more water
33. Make commitments to train with different people at different times in the week to keep active
34. Take the stairs instead of the lift no matter how you are feeling
35. Park your car further away from your destination or get off the bus early
36. Make a big pot of vegetable soup on the weekend and eat it for snacks during the week
37. Pre-cook as many meals as you can and keep them handy at work or at home for ‘junk snack’ times
38. Keep your ‘cheat days’ healthy by choosing resteraunts that have healthy foods like salads, meats & fish
39. Eat chilli – the burning sensation is your metabolism speeding up
40. Eat more often but not more
41. Eat six meals a day with a two hour spacing inbetween
42. Use a small bowl or plate to create the illusion of eating a lot
43. Replace chicken with lean red meat
44. Find someone you don’t like to do cardio or sport with as you will try harder to win & be more competitive
45. Experiment with mixing weight training and cardio together with circuits
46. Read as many weight loss books as you can
47. Avoid alcohol and late nights as it DOES impact on fat loss training and progress
48. Don’t hang around ‘junk food friends’ at times you know you will cheat
49. Go to the shops on a full stomach
50. Drink a glass of water before every meal
51. Avoid diuretic fat loss gimmicks as the weight loss will only be water
52. Keep a record of the foods you eat during the day
53. Measure your calories for everything you eat for one whole week (you’ll be surprised)
54. Develop habits that foster weight loss like eating at the right time, don’t use food as an emotional crutch
55. Add more resistance to your workouts by increasing the weight or leverage
56. Let your work mates and your family know you are trying to lose weight – they will support you
57. Turn dreams into goals by writing them down and regularly reading them
58. Think about everything you put into your mouth – calories & unhealthy substances can be squeezed into many places
59. Make short term goals and long term goals achievable and measure your progress regularly
60. Take days off – its ok to relax occasionally
61. Don’t worry too much about progress – enjoy the fitness
62. Train outdoors – sun and air are good for you
63. Watch shows like The Biggest Loser for inspiration
64. Read about the health problems associated with being over weight and get determined
65. Drink more water
66. Hire a personal trainer if you find it really hard to get motivated
67. If you are lazy at home join a gym
68. Do cardio with up-beat music
69. Don’t get sidetracked by gossiping to the hot guy/girl at the next treadmill
70. Buy a nice pair of shorts or t-shirt that you want to (realistically) be able to fit in by summer
71. Don’t be self concious at the gym – no one cares
72. Milk is good for you – don’t cut it out on account of losing weight
73. Just do it – stop making excuses
74. Use big compound weight training exercises like the squat, bench press, chin up, dip, military press and deadlift instead of isolation exercises
75. Avoid fancy gym machines and just use free weights
76. If your really bored with free weights, try gym machines for variety
77. Try and relate your weight loss goals to helping people – it helps
78. When you are struggling to take another step on your jog pick an item in the distance and aim for it
79. Read inspiration stories about sports champions
80. Attend sport matches like football, athletics and bodybuilding contests
81. Instead of weighing yourself use a tape measure
82. Use maths in weight loss – ie one bowl of iced cream cut out of your diet each night = 10 mins less on the treadmill tomorrow
83. Eat less man made food
84. Opt for organic foods and unprocessed things
85. Learn that you cannot ’spot reduce’ – fat comes off from the whole body not just one section
86. Muscle and fat do not co-exist well so build some muscle
87. Take spas, massages, etc. to help muscles recover faster – thus being able to train more
88. Never train through injuries or when muscles are still sore
89. High intensity training is harder and better – don’t believe hype about low intensity cardio burning more fat – high intensity keeps your heart rate up long after you leave the track
90. Stretch muscles that are sore and stretch before, during and after training
91. See a doctor before doing hard weight loss stuff
92. 3500 calories = one pound of fat – diet is more important that hours on the treadmill
93. Skipping meals won’t burn fat – keep your metabolism burning by eating more often
94. Hot water will burn calories as well as being a Chinese medicine. Cold water will do the same
95. Replace a smaller meal with a protein shake – liquid food is better for you
96. Don’t wastre your money on pills or quick fixes – change your habits
97. Never sacrifice your health to lose a bit of fat
98. Be creative with cardio – running and biking isn’t the only way
99. Never train for more than one hour at a time
100.If you lose motivation, re-check your goals and ambitions and make them firm
101.Drink more water!
What did you think of those weight loss tips for women!? Are we as women hoodwinked into thinking that this’ll be easy?